If you are just beginning to research the modern world of cloth diapers you are no doubt overwhelmed.
I have written extensively on how to cloth diaper from every aspect but compiling it all together can be confusing to the new reader.
Below I will very briefly lay out steps to take to begin cloth diapering today…or as soon as your order arrives ;)
- Choose a system: (answering yes to the questions indicates that you would like that system)
- Pockets: Do you want to stuff diapers before use? Do you want the versatility to make it a nighttime diaper?
- All In Ones (AIO): Do you want the diaper ready to go straight out of the dryer? Do you mind having a diaper that most likely will not work at night? Will you line dry? Do you mind a diaper that takes a bit longer to dry?
- Prefolds or Flats and covers: Do you want a simple, no snaps, no elastic system? Do you need to save money and go the cheapest route? Will you travel a lot? Will you be in a foreign country? Will you be without a washer and/or dryer? Do you prefer an all natural fiber system?
- Hybrids: Do you want the option of using cloth and disposable inserts interchangeably?
- All In Twos (AI2): Do you want to change just the snap-in insert every change? Do you travel or camp often? Do you need to save space?
- Once you have decided on a system check out the My Recommendations tab and read reviews.
- Evaluate the size and shape of your baby and compare your choices to Best Cloth Diaper for Your Baby’s Body.
- One size or sized:
- One size: Do you want a diaper to last from 10-35lbs (estimate)? Do you plan on diapering more than one child at the same time?
- Sized: Do you want a snug fit? Do you prefer not to see rows of snaps? (many os have internal adjustments)
- Dry pail: Do you want to use an easy to open trash can with a pail liner?
- Wet bag: Do you want a bag you can travel with or leave at home? Do you want something you can zip up? Do you want a cute, stylish print?
- Where to buy:
- Online boutiques: Do you do all your shopping online? Do you want a one stop shop? Do you want to earn points/dollars/rewards for every dollar you spend?
- Brick and mortar store: Do you need to see and feel all the options? Do you want a face to face relationship with other like-minded people?
- Keep it as simple as possible. Use lots of agitation, an appropriate amount of water and detergent for the load size and READ THIS! :)
Once you have answered these major questions, you are ready to make a purchase.
If your baby is a newborn you will need at least 24 diapers. If your baby is 9 months-2, you will need at least 15 (and you will be washing every day).
It isn’t necessary to buy everything on your first purchase. Cloth diaper safe diaper rash creams, doublers, disposable liners, diaper sprayer, cloth wipes and wipes solution can all wait until needed or on your follow up purchases.
All you really need to cloth diaper is a baby, cloth diapers and good detergent. The rest is extra.
This list is far from exhaustive but it will get you started on the right path. Hopefully, it will clear some cobwebs and fuel your excitement to begin this journey!
It may seem weird but cloth diapering is fun and highly addictive. Not that I know anything about the latter. :)
This post may contain affiliate links.