Cloth Diaper Q&A Vol 5: Detergents

June 14, 2011

Cloth Diaper Q & A, Washing

What is the best (yet good on the wallet) laundry detergent to use on cloth diapers?

~Jessica S.

In the 6 years (eep!) I have been cloth diapering the same questions are still being asked over and over.

Arguably, the top question is what detergent is best for cloth diapers.

There are as many answers as there are choices.  Choices are convenient when you are having issues.

Over the years I have used Crunchy Clean, Soap Nuts, Mrs. Meyers, Clean B, Rockin Green Hard Rock, Tide, TruGreen Laundry Washing ball, Kirkland’s Environmentally friendly, Mountain Green, Seventh Generation and Country Save. (I know I’ve forgotten a couple)

You can read about my experiences with many of these by using the search box.

When I lived in north Texas using a top loader and soft city water, Mrs. Meyers (contains enzymes) was my favorite.  For some reason I never had problems while cloth diapering Paisley and using a scented, enzyme detergent.  I did have the luxury of implementing vinegar soaks which will break down the buildup that was occurring.

Other detergents I used in the above environment were Crunchy Clean, Soap Nuts and Tide.  I didn’t like Soap Nuts. at. all. I think I was not intelligent enough to figure out how to keep the dern things in the bag!  That was 5 years ago.  I might be smarter now if I tried them again.

After moving to south central Texas I switched to Kirkland’s Environmentally Friendly. I loved it.  I stopped using it when I began having horrendous ammonia problems–Sterling was a toddler and we bought a Samsung Steam HE washer.

This is really where I began experimenting with different detergents.

The only one I can scream, “Don’t buy it!” is the TruGreen Laundry Ball.  I’m pretty sure I would be the only one gullible enough to watch their sales pitch video and fall for it.  But, just in case, you have now been warned.

Clean B has the most amazing scents.  I’d still recommend it but no longer use it myself for reasons having nothing to do with it’s performance.

Rockin Green is a detergent I often recommend to families.  Kim is such a wonderful troubleshooter and she truly wants to develop the best formulas available.  Funk Rock temporarily removed the ammonia problem we were having last year.

Seventh Generation was only used when I ran out of my cloth diaper detergents.

Mountain Green is sitting in my washing machine pedestal…I’m enjoying my current detergent too much to give it a thorough test run.

For the last few months I have been using THE MOST RECOMMENDED detergent — it seems :) — Country Save.  Some people call me stubborn.  I certainly was being stubborn by not trying Country Save sooner.

I’m not saying Country Save is the greatest detergent.  It cleans very well which is a good thing for a detergent.  Camden hasn’t hit that stage where he starts producing more concentrated urine so I can’t comment on whether Country Save will ward off ammonia problems.  I pray it does!

We moved a couple of weeks ago and we have a water softener for our extremely hard well water.  The water softener makes the water super soft.

Since we have only lived her 2+ weeks I am experimenting with how much Country Save to add to the load.

Country Save better work because I just bought a truck load of it off Amazon using their Subscribe & Save program.  Basically, you sign up to receive a new shipment automatically ever “x” weeks or months.  You save 15% and you can cancel the subscription any time after receiving your first order.

I’m still consistently using Bac-out in the prewash.  I’ve been doing this for years and it has become such a part of my routine I panic when I run low.

My experiences are helpful but honestly my go to place for detergent recommendations is Pinstripes and Polkadots. Sarah Gesiakowski is the detergent queen!

I’d love to hear what you’re currently using!

Here’s a helpful post with links to several posts. How to Wash Cloth Diapers.

, , ,

146 Responses to “Cloth Diaper Q&A Vol 5: Detergents”

1. lorena Says:

it seams like im always trying to find the right washing routine but its so importnat

2. Adina Says:

I was having ammonia and barnyard stink UNTIL…I bleached everything. Then started using Tide (in the same quantity I’d use for a similar load of clothes) and voila…NO SMELLS. Even my wet bag doesn’t smell like ammonia on day two!

3. Karissa Says:

Just curious if you know anything about the EWG’s guide to healthy cleaners (http://www.ewg.org/guides/categories/9-Laundry) and if you would recommend it as a guide for good laundry detergents?

4. Lacey Says:

I read a review on Amazon that Bac-out has recently changed their formula and is no longer all natural. Have you noticed a difference? Are your babes having a reaction to the change?

5. Erin Says:

Many people may not know but BumGenius detergent is the exact same as Country Save. Our local diaper store gets Country Save shipped as well as the BG DT bags and they transfer it. Same stuff.

6. Jen Says:

Hi, I’m wondering if you/anyone uses or tried Greenshield organic laundry detergent for diapers and if so how it worked. I contacted the company and was told that it was cloth diaper safe and works well for cloth diapers, but have not tried it personally. Thanks.

7. Amanda Says:

Thank you so much for your site! Very informative!

We have started using the Bac-out, and after dealing directly with rumparooz I have been searching else where. I LOVE these diapers but the stink! and the leaks! My daughter will be 2 this month, and I am assuming the urine is more concentrated… Her diapers reek ALL the time, just after stripping (Dawn, tons of super hot washes, and Vinegar all tried). I am guessing we have hard water by the smell and pink water marks on the shower, taps, toilet etc.

As for detergents we have tried Tide, Country Save, Oxy Clean, and presently Ecover. I don’t remember having terrible issues with country save, but that was a while ago and it was quite pricey.
    Thinking of getting the Calgon but what to do about the leaks and reeks!
    Please please please help!
    We love the diapers, but she’s a hazard to have on her lap!
    Thanks again,
    Amanda

How old are the microfiber inserts? IMO, Calgon is pricey but if you have hard water then you will need something to help the detergent work.

• Amanda Says:

Well my daughter will be two and shes our first, so most of the inserts are as old as she is,but werent used at first. She has some newer hemp inserts that are only about 6 months old- maybe. Whats IMO?

btw how would you strip them? Rumparooz customer service was super kind, but they just didn’t get to the bottom of my stinky issue.

• Amanda Says:

Oh and one more… we found Mrs. Meyers… would you still use that? You said when u had soft water, would u use it with calgon? Totally up for anything!

IMO= in my opinion.

Mrs. Meyers contains enzymes and fragrances so keep in mind that buildup will probably occur.

After a year of steady use microfiber inserts will either need to be replaced or soaked in Rockin Green Hard Rock. The Hard Rock may rejuvenate them.

• Amanda Says:

We couldn’t find the Hard rock. We did find Calgon, are those different?

So you wouldn’t suggest Mrs. Meyers for hard water? What would you suggest?

8. Rachael Says:

im new to the cloth diapering world and was wondering what you use to disinfect the cloth diapers? thanks

9. Sandra Says:

My question is about ammonia smell. We use fitteds and wool covers at night and in the morning the intensity of the ammonia smell is overwhelming sometimes. Babygirl doesnt seem bothered by it and there aren’t any burns or anything, just the smell. The smell clean coming out of the dryer and the daytime diapers only faintly smell of ammonia. Is this just something that comes with the CD territory or can I do something about it?

10. Tiffany Says:

Hey there,
    Im new at this cloth diapering, but am so excited to get started when this second baby arrives! Your website has been a wealth of knowledge for me, so thank you!! My question (sorry if its already been asked) can you use homemade laundry detergent? I make my own natural detergent & softener (detergent basically has water, Fels naptha soap, borax & washing soda & natural oils) I do have a dry mixture & wet mixture, not sure if it matters. And the Softener is made with water, natural hair conditioner, vinegar.
    Do you know if these would cause problems for the diapers ? Also I havent seen anyone else mention doing this, but I was thinking of spritzing each insert with a little mixture of baking soda & vinegar before it goes in the wet bag after rinsing (To prevent stench)… would it ruin the fibers of the diaper & would that even be beneficial? And lastly, what are your thoughts on Best Bottom diapers? Im looking for an all in one type of diaper & came across those, but would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!!!

I’m not an expert on detergent but I’m 99% sure you can’t use Fels naptha with cloth diapers. Do you have hard water? I am assuming you don’t but if you do don’t use vinegar with the cloth diapers. It causes issues. No matter what water type you shouldn’t use vinegar every load anyways. It can break down the PUL and elastic. I would thoroughly rinse the diapers if you want to prevent stench…but if you are washing every other day or 2 you shouldn’t have a problem. I have only used the Best Bottoms at night with the super huge microfiber soakers. They absorb a lot but it’s one fat bottom. The covers are decent, not my favorite. Take a look through the My Recommendations tab and see if any of those diapers appeal to you.

• Cyndel Jones Says:

Hey Tiffany,
      I use home made detergent for my diapers. Fels naptha can cause build up over time so the recipe I use is a dry recipe without fels naptha. The woman I got the recipe from has used it since October 2008 and has never had to strip or had stink problems,
      theecofriendlyfamily.com
      3 Boxes Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (55 oz each)
      2 Boxes 20 Mule Team Borax (76 oz each)
      1 Large Tub OxiClean (96 oz) (or other oxygen cleaner)

She uses this exact same recipe with fels naptha added for the rest of her laundry. I only use vinegar once every week or two. Like Autumn said it isn’t good for PUL or elastic. Wool or rubber drier balls work great to help soften diapers as the dry in the drier.

• Tiffany Says:

Thank you so so much for the info & recipe! So helpful!

• Cyndel Jonea Says:

Welcome!
          I forgot to mention that I have used this detergent exclusively on my diapers for 3 months and I have used not even a fourth of the amount this recipe makes. All the ingredients cost not quite $30. I think this detergent will last most of my son’s time in diapers. Esp if he is potty trained before I have another child! Some people add a few drops of Grape Seed Extract or Tea Tree Oil for the antimicrobial/bacterial qualities and the grape seed extract is supposed to have a gentle sent to it. Good luck!

• Hallie Says:

How much of the detergent do you use. I have been using a recipe with Fels naptha, so this seems like a good alternitive.
            Thanks!

11. Cathy Says:

Question that I think I know the answer to: when Country Save’s website talks about a “scoop”, does that mean a 1 oz scoop? My box of Country Save didn’t come with a scoop so I’m using an old one from OxyClean which is 1 oz. I’m using 1/2 a scoop with my top loader. Sound right?

12. Jessica Says:

Can you (and if you can, is there a need) to use both vinegar and bac-out in your rinse cycle?

13. Ingrid Says:

I’ve absolutely HAD it with EcoSprout! I haven’t noticed any lingering ammonia smells, which is nice, however it is TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE vis-a-vis removing poop stains. I use Rumperooz and Fuzzibunz and all of my inserts (all of them!!) are spotted with poop stains. I use a handheld sprayer with cold water to remove poop from the diapers immediately following each diaper change. I then soak the diapers for a few hours and follow all of the steps recommended by EcoSprout/the diaper brands. However, still, still!! the poop stains persist and accumulate.

14. Andrea Jules Says:

Would it be possible to do a post dedicated to prepping diapers for first time use? I am having my first baby in early October and have begun to order everything to compile my stash. Everything it seems has different washing instructions and the more research I do regarding the different fibers, detergents, potential for repelling, etc, the more confusing it has become. I think that what to do when ammonia, leaking issues, repelling, stink arises has been more than adequately covered in this post and others, but I am a bit lost with what to do with my very lovely and adorable yet now intimidating pile of brand new stuff. Can I wash my Orange Diaper Co flats with Kissaluvs 0 and GMB organic prefolds and such since they are all natural fibers? Should it be done on hot? Should the second load be all my BumGenius, FuzziBunz, Happy Heiney’s, etc, since they are all non-natural fibers? Should that be done on hot too? Is a prewash needed if they are all new and there is no poop/pee to remove? Does the first load/set need to be washed the 6-7 times to fully prep so my poor husband doesn’t start off his parenting experience being leaked all over? I have Nellie’s, Rockin Green, and Ecover fabric softener. Does the fabric softener on the first load/naturals only come into play after they have been in use for a while or is it needed in the prepping process too? What about Bac-Out, I assume there is no need for this until there is actual waste in the diapers?

I must preface this by saying that I am totally an experimental person and will happily just troubleshoot my way through many things. My husband is super wonderful and will change diapers and be a totally participant person in all this, as long as I don’t turn him off at the beginning. He is not as patient for the learning curve as I am and I don’t want to discourage him and his time with his son (as well as the help!) by not being informed before I start.

Apologies for the many questions. I have very much enjoyed reading your website and have found that the more you write the more empowered I feel to take this on. I think I may have just digested too much information and now may be mistakenly applying “fixes” for other issues to the prepping process.

Very much appreciated,
    Andrea

Congratulations on the upcoming birth!
      You can wash all your diapers together. I recommend washing on warm or cold. I save the hot for when I need to strip the diapers. No prewash is necessary.
      When prepping diapers you only need to wash pockets and all in ones one time. Prefolds can take up to 10 washes to reach their full absorbency but you can prep 5 times and start using.
      An excellent rule of thumb is first wash with detergent then wash 4 additional times with just water.
      I wouldn’t use the Ecover unless your prefolds and fitteds get crunchy and you want them soft again. And then I’d only do it once. No need to use Bac-out yet.
      Let me know if I missed something!

15. Lisanne Says:

You really really should check out and review Eco Sprout Cloth Diaper Detergent. I was skeptical at first, even after reading all the rave reviews on their facebook page. I had tried so many things and always had that ammonia stink. I used to try the baking soda, vinegar, ect. Then Rockin Green which I found to be horrible. Then they came out with Funk Rock (just another way to get more money in my opinion) which only worked for a short time. So- I tried Eco Sprout and it literally SAVED me and my diapers! I have been using it for some 6 months now and it is AMAZING!!!! Nothing can even hold a candle to this amazing detergent!! http://www.ecosproutsoap.com. Would love for you to check it out!!

I’ve inquired about reviewing it for them but they don’t seem interested.

• Unicorn Baby Says:

Hi there autumn,
        I have been doing some research on washing diapers recently. We are a manufacturing company called Unicorn Editions. We started over 20 years ago with the award winning Leather Therapy products and have branched out to the fiber industry with Unicorn Fibre products http://www.unicornfibre.com. Within the past year, we have been contacted by Sloomb, Dream Diapers and Lilly & Frank(in Canada). They were all using our products on wool diapers and are now carrying our products. We have expanded our line to include the cloth diaper industry and I would love to send you samples of our Unicorn Baby products. Please look at our website http://www.unicornbaby.com and let me know if you are interesting in giving us a try.
        Thanks for your time,
        Melanie

16. ashley Says:

HAS ANYONE TRIED THE ECO DETERGENT FROM SAM’S CLUB. IT HAS LAVENDER OIL IN IT…COULD THIS CAUSE BUILD UP. OTHER THAN THIS I DON’T SEE ANYTHING THAT WOULD FOR SURE CAUSE A PROBLEM. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THOUGHT

Lavender essential oil shouldn’t be a problem. Detergents like Crunchy Clean and Clean B are scented with fragrance and essential oils.

• haley Says:

Actually, I saw on the pinstripes and poka dots website that the Sam’s club ECOS brand with the lavender is not a good one, because it also contains the fabric softener, but the “free” version of that brand is ok. I don’t know if they have that one at SAM’s or not.

17. Meg Says:

Quick Question: Just switched to TIDE for pocket diapers. I have soft water, top-loading machine. I have NO CLUE how much dt to use! Any recommendation?? :) Thanks so much!

18. Julie Rosinski Says:

I have a question about washing diapers in detergents that have “enzymes”. I had been using laundry detergent from Biokleen (Premium Plus Laundry Powder) and I loved it! Even advertises on the box that it is good for cloth diapers. But I recently read on the BG website that they do not recommend using detergents with enzymes. Since I have mostly BG 3.0s and elementals, I switched to Country Save, but I miss the Biokleen! What is your take on the enzyme issue?

• Jessica Says:

I’d love to hear an answer to this as well – I love Biokleen and was disappointed to read that some websites don’t recommend using it on cloth diapers (I’m due in 3 weeks and will be cloth diapering).

There is the possibility of the enzymes affecting the organic fibers. I don’t know the details or the studies done but in my small little opinion I think it is a way to make the warranty a little tighter. My Elementals did get holes in them and I did use Bac-out. Don’t know if there was a connection.

19. Carly Says:

First of all, I LOVE your blog and refer to it every time I have any CD issues — thank you so much!

My question: I have been having major ammonia issues, especially with overnight diapers. I use Rockin’ Green Hard Rock and have just been noticing it getting worse and worse. I purchased the Funk Rock and it did not clear it up entirely after one treatment (I washed about 30 diapers over 2 separate loads with FR treatment). Should I try the FR again? With the price, I was hoping to preserve the FR to use occasionally and it would be frustrating to have to use it all right now, but I also just want to be done with the ammonia issues! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am going to purchase the Bac-Out but am moving in a few weeks so I want to wait until after I move.

Thanks!

Can you tell me water type and washing machine type? Soft or normal water with a TL– do a vinegar soak. Any water with a FL– crank up the heat, add extra water and use some Tide.

• Carly Says:

I have normal/somewhat hard water and a TL — how much vinegar and for how long should I soak?

THANK YOU!!!

Sorry, I just saw this. If you have high concentration of minerals in your water, ie, hard water, then using vinegar can cause yellowing.

How old is your child?

20. Vera Says:

Am I the only person whose baby got a rash with Country Save? :( I had such high hopes for it too, after basically every cloth diapering site recommended it. But he got a rash everywhere the diaper touched him when I tried it. We use Nellie’s and it actually works fine, except we are having intermittent ammonia problems now (son is 16 mo old) – we’re using all BG diapers, so we do a bleach cycle and that takes care of it. But I’m worried that since we’re hoping our AOI stash will last for one more baby, bleaching every 3-4 weeks will wear the diapers out too soon. Also, our dumb washer (Whirlpool Duet – hate it) takes forever to do even a normal load. So when I do a rinse, wash, and then two extra rinses (to get the bleach all out) it takes over 2 hours just to wash, then another 1.5 hours to dry a load of diapers!!

21. Brittney Says:

We havent started using CDs yet, but will in a few weeks (baby on the way!). We did TONS of research on detergents and found that Planet Wise is supposed to be the best and the safest for baby… anyone have any thoughts around that? I’ve been surprised to not see it listed anywhere here on your site and curious if maybe it didnt work for anyone?

Thanks!

• spiralingsnails Says:

Planet Wise was the first detergent I tried and I immediately had a bit of a problem with stinky build-up. It wasn’t so bad that I couldn’t finish using up the box, but I was glad when it finally ran out and I could try Country Save – which I’ve used ever since!

• Jenelle Says:

I use the Planet liquid detergent (supposedly better than the powder). I LOVE it. I’ve been CD’ing for three months and have had zero problems with it. My daughter has an extremely sensitive bum, and this detergent is very gentle.

I also use Planet dishwashing liquid. Love that too.

I have slightly hard city water, and we have a water softener.

22. Sarah Brock Says:

I have been using CDs for about a month and am having problems with ammonia smell and rash. I live in a hard water area but do have a water softener, which seems to work alright as long as we have kept up the salt levels. I have been using Ecos Free and Clear as it is affordable and easy to find in my area in my front load washer. Wondering if anyone has advice on what detergent is best for hard water areas, cloth diapers, front loaders, and for no build up? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Everyone seems to have a different answer. Some love Rockin Green Hard Rock, others Country Save and then there’s Crunchy Clean’s hard water version. With the ammonia you might give Funk Rock a try.

23. Sherry Says:

Detergent…uhhh! I ran out of Rockin’ Green and purchased Laundry Tarts. I thought my Rockin’ Green may not be working because I could smell a light odour on my diapers (turns out I needed to use more detergent, no biggie). I switched and cursed every moment since. I followed Laundry Tarts directions, suggestions from them through emails and lots of stripping my diapers but it only got worse and worse. I gave up and headed back to tried and true Rockin’ Green Classic Rock and purchased Funk Rock as a back up. I am pleased to announce our diapers are back to normal and I have learned my lesson. When you find something GREAT buy in bulk so you never run out!

Question 1: Does Bac-Out work well with Rockin’ Green detergent?
    Question 2: Do you bleach the entire diaper (pocket diapers/AIO) or just inserts? Will it damage the PUL or colour?

I’ve never seen anything saying not to use the 2 together. When I do use bleach I use it on all diaper types. It won’t damage PUL or color because it doesn’t get put directly on the fabric.

24. Brittany Says:

Yikes! My son has broken out with a horrible rash in his diaper area. We’ve been using cotton prefolds and washing with tide powder. We’ve never has a rash before in the 9+mos that we’ve been CDing. His diapers have an odd smell when he pees, not ammonia more like a Tide smell. This has led me to believe that we have a buildup problem (and the fact that there are still suds in my rinse cycle) I’ve ordered some Bac Out, suggestions on how to use it?

Also, we have started giving him a little bit of cows milk, could an allergy be causing the rash?
    Thanks!

• jbM Says:

I’ve read (on pinstripes and polka dots?) that if you smell detergent after washing, or after a pee, you are either using too much detergent or not rinsing enough. Tide was a horrible one for suds at our house. I think it sounds like the Tide is irritating your little one, not the milk. I believe a milk allergy would manifest itself with GI symptoms, diarrhea, vomiting, excess gas, etc. not necessarily a skin rash.
      I have no experience with Bac out, but you could just try rinsing a few extra times to get the extra detergent out. I have a CDing girlfriend of mine who lays her diapers out on the driveway and blasts them with a hose to get rid of extra sudsdy build up! :)

25. Shauna Says:

I use Rockin Green Classic. I have a top loader. Here is my routine. No matter how much diapers. I do a cold rinse first. Then a heavy wash cycle on large capacity. I use 3 T rockin green + 1 T dawn dishsoap every time. I do 2 rinses. Sometimes i add a couple drops lavendar essential oil to final rinse. I got this method from a veteran cloth diapering mamma. I never have smells, or absorbancy probs so i think we are doing good!

26. Rachel B Says:

I just bought a second hand stash of GMD prefolds since we are expecting our first. The original owner used only Charlie’s Soap, Baby Oxiclean and vinegar. (The recommended routine by the GMD washing guide.) The diapers haven’t been used in about a year. To my super-sensitive pregnancy nose they smell like urine. We’ve got hard water (NE Ohio)and a large stockpile of detergent for our grownup clothes. Any recommendations on a detergent?

27. Kristen Says:

I keep it simple: I’ve used original Tide — liquid and powder — and OxiClean and never had any problems. Currently I do a cold rinse, sometimes with less than 1/4 scoop Oxyclean if things are really nasty; mostly I just do a rinse cycle, sometimes I do a full wash cycle like this. Then a hot cycle with no more than a 1/4 scoop of Tide powder. Then another cycle, or two rinse cycles, with no detergent. I’m not super picky about stains, but with this and a diaper sprayer, most of my 16 month old’s poop stains come out just fine anyway.

His diapers usually go through the dryer, too, but this past weekend I finally got some nylon camp line to put up in the backyard and line dried. I’ve actually been working too much this week to check the results — my husband brought the diapers in that afternoon — but there haven’t been any complaints about the results, so if the weather allows, I’d certainly do it again and see if it helps with the few poop stains I’ve got to date.

28. Kristine Says:

I use Charlie’s Soap. Pre-rinse in cold water w/ vinegar, wash in hot water w/ the soap and small amount of Sun Oxygen Cleaner, then another quick rinse. I don’t wash my covers though in the vinegar.

29. Natalie Says:

I’ve used Country Save and I like it a lot, especially because the 10 lbs box lasts a very, very long time. The thing I didn’t like about it though was that my diapers still had a lingering smell, not ammonia, but just not a fresh scent. Well, I moved and I couldn’t find Country Save at any stores locally so I decided to try something new. I’ve been using liquid Purex Free and Clear for a few months now and it works great, and my diapers smell fresher now too. I hope this lasts, if not I’ll order some Country Save online.

• Jamie Says:

I glad to see someone else like the purex. I have extreamly hard water (az)and have a hard time w mineral buildup and ammona smells. Ive tried a few different things and the purex seems to work the best with us and i add calgon to it. My diapers finally dont smell like anything after they are cleaned. Firsttime. Rockin green did not work well for us.

30. Kim Says:

I use the BumGenius detergent. Since BG diapers make up about 90% of our stash, it made sense to me to try it. We pre-rinse all our diapers with a BG diaper sprayer before putting them in the pail. I have an LG frontloader and do two cycles. For the first cycle I set it for a prewash, then cold/cold normal cycle, using one mfr. scoop of detergent. For the next cycle I use another scoop, and I set the machine for a hot/cold normal cycle with extra rinse. I have been considering dropping the detergent from the first cycle but haven’t done it yet. It doesn’t dissolve well in cold water and I often find it stuck in the hopper. So far, so good, though. I really only get stains if a diaper sits for a long time without getting rinsed. We only have BF poo right now, though. As far as stink, I’m not totally sure. I noticed last week that when DD wet her diaper it smelled skunk-like. I thought it was some kind of buildup on the diaper, but (and this might be TMI) then I noticed that my pee smelled similar. I think maybe it was just something I ate, but now I have to get that smell out of the diapers. We have really hard water that comes right out of the Colorado River, so I bought some RNG Hard Rock. We’re almost out of BG detergent, so I’m going to give the RNG a spin and see how it goes. I have used the BG odor remover spray on a BG that we got used and it removed the little bit of odor that was there. We live in the high desert, so line drying diapers is not really an option. They would be full of dirt by the time they were dry. Instead, I use the “air dry” option on the dryer so they just tumble with no heat. Once everything is clean and dry, I pre-stuff all my pockets, fold them up, and put them in an organizer so they’re as easy to use as grabbing a disposable. Then, laundry time is finally done!

31. Morgan Says:

Autumn, Wanting to order and try Bac-Out for the first time – would you recommend spraying poopy diapers with it before tossing into a diaper pail (dry, not wet)? I’ve been having quite a bit of staining lately, even with sun drying.

Thanks!!
    Morgan

• Tiffaney Says:

I use 1/4 cup of bac out (after the initial rinse cycle) and soak for at least 15 – 30 mins in a pre wash cycle. No stains.

32. Monica Says:

The only thing that removes stains for me is Tide. I have soft city water and a FL. I only use prefolds and fitted prefolds. I do a cold wash/rinse and then a hot wash/rinse and extra rinse. I also add a splash of vinegar to the rinse and once in a while use Country Save oxygen bleach. I’ve tried Country Save and RnG. Neither got the stains out. I am also stuck with 2 unopened boxes and 1 barely used box of Country Save because I had to order a minimum of 6 items from Alice.com. If anyone is in the Indianapolis, IN area and would like to take them off my hands, please let me know.

33. Amanda O'Neal Says:

I have been spraying my diapers with bac out but was wondering how much to use if I use it in a pre-wash. there weren’t any directions on my bottle.
    Thanks!

34. Mia Says:

I’m using a product by Melaleuca. Their ecosense line is amazing! One squirt is all you need for a full load of diapers so I’ve found it very economical.

• Cassie Says:

Is Melaleuca safe for cloth diapers? I use it for everything else, but was afraid to try it on my cloth.

• Nancy Says:

I have been using MelaPower for years, and am getting ready to start cloth diapering when our 3rd child is born (due Sept 8th). On the website that lists what detergents are best for cloth diapers, MelaPower is listed as 1 or 2 stars, not recommended. I have been under the impressieon that MelaPower does not have any of the fillers / additives etc that would be a problem for cloth diapers, but I’m confused now.
      How long have you been using MelaPower on your cloth diapers? How much do you use? Have you had any problems with them getting holes in them – that’s what I’ve seen on other sites about detergents with enzymes, which I think is the main “problem” to the site that does not recommend MelaPower.

35. annette Says:

I use charlie’s soap for my 2 year old and 4 month old boys,’ thirties duo pocket diapers. I am very happy. Don’t have stink problems. I prewash in cold and wash in hot, with a double rinse. :-)

• Roxanne Says:

I also use Charlie’s but with my almost 10 month old. i have not had any issues with stink either i. I use a variety of diapers depending on the day including pockets , all in ones, flats, and prefolds. the only thing i caution is making sure before washing diapers to run a load of towels that have been washed in charlies before because charlies pulls out old detergent that has gotten washed out which can remain on the drum and then deposit onto diapers which can cause irriations. But it isn’t a big deal i just always wash a load of towels before the diapers just in case ( who doesn’t always have towels to wash anyway).

36. Tegan Says:

I have tried a few, including homemade detergent with a base of Country Save. Thirsties worked pretty good for me too. The biggest problem that I had was that my daughter (she’s 2) has really sensitive skin, so sometimes after one diaper, she would have a terrible diaper rash, occasionally with blisterss. I’m currently trying Rockin’ Green Hard Rock (which got rid of the ammonia smell after an hour soak – we have really hard water here) and so far my daughter hasn’t had a reaction. So when I try a new diaper detergent, my first concern isn’t how well it works so much as how my daughter will react to it.

37. Sherri Says:

ECO SPROUT ECO SPROUT ECO SPROUT!

After trying so many different detergents, wash routines, vinegar, you name it…I sampled some Eco Sprout. It is so fantastic, that I now carry it at my store http://www.cutiepoopsandbottoms.com and it is our top seller! As a brick and mortar store we are able to directly recommend to our customers rather than just having it listed on our website. Our customers LOVE it! It almost completely removes the ammonia stink….even the pail doesn’t knock me out anymore.
    If you cloth diaper, I highly recommend trying them out. You can also get it directly at http://www.ecosproutsoap.com and they sell samples too.
    Cost wise, you get more detergent for your money than some other brands and you don’t need any special additives! This product does it all.

• Ingrid Says:

I am one of your in-store customers who, sadly, does not love EcoSprout. All of my Rumperooz and Fuzzibunz inserts are poop stained, despite my adherence to the EcoSprout and diaper brand instructions. Do you have any suggestions for pretreating diapers before using EcoSprout? I ask because I have a whole bag of it and am desperately attempting to get the detergent to work for me. Any advice is appreciated!

38. Lauren Says:

I am currently using Sunlight Free & Clear Cold Water (in Canada) and have had good results. Have also used in the past The Green Line from Walmart, unscented also, and I sometimes use a little Borax (a few tbs) in if they’ve been sitting more then a day. I also have ++hard water due to Calcium, and we now have a water softener and my diapers are coming much cleaner. We also bought a new steam clean HE washer and dryer, makes a HUGE difference, and I ALWAYS line dry or hang my diapers. I used to LOVE Nature Clean unscented detergent but could only find it at Canadian Tire or Home Hardware, and it was quite expensive. Looking into trying Watkins Natural Detergent, as I am a Watkins Associate, it’s a super concentrated powder, and will let you know how I like it!

39. Melissa Says:

How much Bac-out do you use in your pre-wash?

40. Amber Dickerson Says:

I have been using Dropp’s detergent (in the pink bag) for my cloth diapers for about 7 months now and have had excellent results. I have an HE machine and do the following: cold rinse no spin; add soap and do a cold soak; next is a hot heavy wash followed by 1-2 cold rinses. About a month ago, I started having some ammonia issues and decided to try Rockin Green. I “rocked a soak” in my bathtub and could not believe how well it worked. I started with all of my prefolds and added them to the tub with 3 tablespoons of Rockin Green and very hot water. The diapers were “clean” when I put them in…or so I thought. After about an hour, the whole bathroom had a strong ammonia smell. After soaking for several hours, I washed them as usual in smaller batches not adding any additional soap, and they came out very clean and fresh. I am still using Dropp’s, but have the Rockin Green on hand to freshen them up when needed.

41. sabrina Says:

I just started cloth diapering and I live in Canada so many of the detergents listed..and all the ones commented on are not available here. I use Claudia’s Choice. It’s very cost effective, $30 for a big tub of powder and the store in town give you $2 off a refill. http://www.claudiaschoices.ca/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_11

• Cass Says:

Hey Sabrina,

Depending on where you live, London Drugs and some Canadian Tire stores carry Country Save. You can also find Rockin’ Green on http://www.bynature.ca. (Just in case you ever want to try something new! )

42. Jennifer Arnow Says:

I spritz with Bio Kleen Bac Out with Foaming Sprayer when I dump the dirtys in my pail. I wash with Charlie’s Soap Laundry Liquid in a front load washer. I am relatively new to cloth diapering, but so far am very happy with these products. They remove all the poo and everything smells fresh.

43. Esley Henkes Says:

I love Country Save and Charlies. I found Charlies works better for soft water and country save is better in hard water. Both are great products.

44. Kristi Says:

We’ve been using Rockin Green Hard Rock for sometime now. Some of the scented stuff makes my son break out, so I avoid that. I also always use vinegar in the rinse, about 3/4cup (washing diapers for 2!) I haven’t had any buildup issues in a long time! We originally used All free and clear, which was okay, but we need to soak them in vinegar every few weeks. Also used Amways delicates detergent which unfortunately was horrible :( I was doing like 6 rinses and the suds still wouldn’t come out! That really bummed me out because I love their stuff!

45. Sonya Says:

What is your wash routine?

Prewash in cold water with bac-out. Wash in cold water with Country Save. Rinse thoroughly through another cycle.

• Lori Says:

Autumn – do you really wash w/ detergent in COLD water? I thought the wash cycle was supposed to be HOT?

• Erin Says:

I’m interested in that you do a cold water wash as well. I do a cold rinse/hot wash/extra cold rinse, and I feel like my diapers get the cleanest when I do a cold rinse/overnight soak on hot w/ CS detergent and CC oxygen/finish the wash cycle in the a.m./cold rinse. I have a lot of missionary friends, and one of them is getting ready to go back to Brazil w/ a new baby and won’t have access to hot water. I’ve been teaching her about cloth, so I’m excited to know that maybe not having hot water won’t be an obstacle for her?

46. Heather Says:

You have to try Eco Sprout! It works much better than Country Save and Rockin Green! Jared is awesome for troubleshooting too!

You are more than welcomed to suggest to them to contact me.

• Erin Says:

How is Eco Sprout cost wise?

• Heather Says:

A 96 oz bag is $24.98 and will do 96-192 loads depending on your washing machine/water type, etc. We have an HE toploader that can be run in HE or conventional mode with hard water with a water softener making it pretty close to normal and I use 2T. I have also had great success using only 2tsp as recommended by Ragababe – however, I was noticing some ammonia stinkies only in my overnight fitted diaper in the am only. We have since switched to using the Ragababe AI2 system at night and didn’t have issues with the smaller amount of detergent. I was paranoid that I wasn’t using enough of detergent (2 tsp is so very little detergent!) so I increased it to his recommended amounts. If you go to http://www.ecosproutsoap.com and look under directions it gives recommendations for the amount of detergent based on your washing machine and water type. I highly recommend doing the first time soak. I did mine overnight in our sink and those diapers were so fresh, clean, and white after that soak! So you could probably could get away with using a smaller amount of detergent to make it even more cost effective and last longer.

47. Rachael Says:

We are new-new to the cd world. Baby is 4 weeks today. I had All free and clear that I use on everything else (great, only 2 tsp gets even summer sweaty stuff nice) and a vinegar rise (in the fabric softener slot, 2 Tbsp), so that’s what I did with the diapers. I have an HE front loaders to boot. About every other wash I’d toss in the Target oxygen cleaner powder, but that gives everything a funny texture, and I’m not sure if that’s getting clean texture or not.

anyhoo, most recent washes have been 3 tsp All free and clear only (with a cold/cold rinse-spin with nada detergent first) in a hot/cold wash with extra rinse. Seems to work well so far, but, I do believe, we are still in the easy to clean stage.

We have softish water, and so far this jug of All has lasted us about 1.5 years and is only half empty. I’m reluctant to start trying anything else — I don’t want to end up with containers of extra detergent sitting around.

• Erin Says:

Autumn may tell you differently, but I was reluctant to use All Free and Clear b/c I heard it contains some additives to it that can cause build-up. Here is the Real Diaper Association’s detergent determiner that helped me figure out what detergents were ok to use on my diapers. Sun Free does not have any additives and worked fine on my diapers. It is very, very cheap and is sold at Big Lots.

Here is the link: http://detergent.realdiaperindustry.org/

• Rachael Says:

So, I followed the link, put in my desire to see no additives, liquid or powder, all 3 HE and USA available…. and got “no results” — really? there is nothing with no fabric softener, enzymes, dyes, fragrance or optical brighteners for HE machines available in the US?

48. Candace Says:

I use a homemade detergent and have turned up my hot water heater considerably for the diaper loads. The homemade recipe can be found on the Duggar’s (family with 19 kids) website. It works wonderfully and as far as stains, the inclusion of Fels Naphtha in the recipe gets stains out well. I also put the double concentrated stuff in a spray bottle if I need to spray a really bad one. I also use Vinegar in almost every wash (every other maybe?) I haven’t had a problem with stains, build up, leakage or smells. Love it! And the best part? It is fun to make with your kids and a recipe that lasts our family of 8 a year costs $3!!!!!!!

49. kerin Says:

I use the unscented detergent by a “safer-for-your-home” company called Melaleuca. It’s one of those deals where you have to “buy” a membership and then order a minimum amount per month to keep the membership. I couldn’t keep up with it, so I stocked up by ordering a bunch of the detergent/softener/brightener in multiple orders and then cancelling my membership. I can rejoin again when I run out next year or ask my friend (who is still a member) to order for me.. This isn’t an ad for their company, so I’ll quit with the details, except to add that the detergent works perfectly in our fairly-hard city water and my top-loader. All I have to do is a pre-soak cycle with a half-squirt of the detergent and then the regular hot/cold wash cycle with an extra rinse with another half-squirt of the detergent. They come out perfectly clean and no ammonia issues, which we were having major problems with before switching to their detergent.

50. Jess Says:

We just started using Country Save. We love it! I am going to think about the subscribe and save program. I love Amazon!

• Danielle Says:

I use Country Save too, so far no problems! I say if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it! I was using OxiClean in my pre-wash, but then read somewhere that it wasn’t good and will break down your diapers faster, so I stopped. I’m also using the BumGenius spray on my diapers before putting them in the pail. Frankly, I’m not sure it makes a difference? so, I don’t think I will buy more. I did recently discover the wonder of the sun for bleaching stains. But I live in Seattle and well…it rains alot here, but I always hang my diapers to dry.

• Erin Says:

I use CS, too, and instead of oxiclean, I use Crunchy Clean pure oxygen. It’s like oxiclean but w/ no fillers/additives. I will add one or two scoops to almost every wash (a scoop is 1Tbsp.), and I soak w/ 3-4 scoops once/week. My diapers come out SO clean w/ the oxygen! I get mine at Jack Be Natural–www.jackbenatural.com. They have free shipping to U.S. Or, you can check out the Crunchy Clean website at http://www.crunchyclean.com. I think Country Save also makes an oxygen bleach, but I’ve never tried it.

51. Natalie Says:

I have been using Charlie’s soap for over a year now. I live in Atlanta and my husband tells me that we have middle of the road water and I have a front load machine. My daughter’s wet diapers have a very strong amonia smell, so I use vinegar in my prewash every few washes and my diapers coming out smelingl fine. I lay them in the sun as often as I think about it and the weather permits! The thing I like about the Charlie’s is that it is cheap and I can buy it at Whole Foods.
    I tried RNG and Funk Rock to see if that would take away the amonia smell when she wets, but I didn’t find that it really did anything. I have also tried the Shake It Up in my diaper pail, but I haven’t found that it covers up the amonia smell either.

52. Jessica Says:

I have been using RockNGreen since I’ve started 9 months ago–seems to work well for us. I’ve had a few frustrating bumps in the road but discovered a couple of things. 1.I needed to turn up the hot water tank some b/c I wasn’t using hot enough water to get rid of the ammonia smell. 2. I now use Thirsties Pre-Wash–I love this stuff. This has been a huge help in getting rid of the stink. Now we’re no longer frustrated!

53. Shauna Says:

I bought a large jug of Allen’s Naturally when my first was born 4 years ago. I have an HE washer with fairly hard water and have never experienced ammonia or major repelling issues. The only stink problems I have had have been my own fault from leaving dipes in pail too long. I have stripped my BG mf inserts with Dawn and bleach once.

I am just now running out of that original jug of Allen’s! (4 years and 2 kids later). Allen’s has definitely worked for us!

54. Kimberly Says:

I have been using all free & clear for all my laundry, including cloth diapers. However, my son has had a few, infrequent issues with blistering when I use cotton prefolds. They always happen with bowel movements and I haven’t been able to figure out exactly why. I have come up with 3 options. 1) reaction to certain foods 2) detergent buildup or 3) bleach used in wash monthly. Here’s my wash routine: non-efficient top loader, highest water level. 1st-Cold pre-wash with half of line 1 (small load) detergent, 2nd-hot wash with half of line 1 (small load) detergent, 3rd-extra rinse. The reason I can’t be sure why the blistering happens is because it is so infrequent, my son isn’t a picky eater so his diet is pretty random and my wash routine has ALWAYS been the same. (Started cloth diapering @ 6 months, my son is now 16 months old.) Any suggestions/comments?

• Kimberly Says:

And now that I read all these comments about Country Save being so great I’m interested in trying it. But I’m wondering which style everyone is using, powder or liquid? (I’ve always used liquid detergents in my top loader.)

55. jenny Says:

I put my soapnuts in a zipped mesh bag, the type u put delicates in. As long as you remember to zip the bag up!

56. Stephanie Says:

We use Tiny Bubbles for our cloth diapers..we were so pleased with it, that we ended up using it for our own laundry as well now.

We started using it when we got a sample from the Grovia Diaper package and were pleased with how well it cleaned with the small amount needed.

We only use an eighth of a cup for each load and it’s good to go!

57. Tonya Carroll Says:

I am amazed at all the hoops everyone jumps through. I use Allen’s Naturally. I don’t do vinegar or bac out. I have hard water and I never have any smells. I bought 1 box for $25 a year ago, and it is only about 1/3 gone. It is the best stuff ever. I wouldn’t bother with any thing else.

58. Momofsix Says:

I have used cd for 8 years and used all the detergents mentioned and more. We have had trouble with many kinds of rashes and stink issues. I can’t say enough for the sun! I like some detergents better than others, but have had trouble with nearly everything eventually. I have very hard water where I have lived for the last three years, but before that we had nice water. My washing routine is definitely different with hard water. I have to say I was reluctant to use Tide (ingredients and price). I was not at all disappointed with how well it works even in very hard water. I do use a lot of oxygen based cleaner as well. We use free and clear everything and sun often. I cannot recommend Country Save for long in hard water. I also think because it tends to gray the clothes over time, there is a temptation to want to use more to try to get the clothes/diapers “cleaner”. This can lead to a residue that can cause burns. The price per load is fabulous, but it might be better used in conjunction with something else (tide or an enzyme based detergent) if you want to make one of those last longer… Just a thought.

59. Jennifer Says:

My personal detergent cycle is Bac-Out, Rockin Green Hard Rock, Funk Rock and OxyClean for stains. I know it sounds like a lot, but with hard water and ammonia issues, it is what works for us.

• Melissa Says:

I thought Oxi-Clean wasn’t CD safe? I use Crunchy Clean Pure Oxygen & love it. Took the stsins off the bibs too :)

• Jennifer Says:

I haven’t had a problem with it. I think it has more to do with the big name brands and the majority of my stash is WAHM diapers.

60. Yara Says:

I think I either need to buy more Country Save (easy to get locally) or find some Rockin Green & email Kim to see what she recommends for this city & shared washing machines (apt building only laundromat).
    When we first moved here in March, my diapers smelled awful after the first wash (more than one cycle) so we quit. Then I got tired of the icky trash diapers, so I am experimenting with getting diapers really clean (and praying we find a house to rent, where we can hook up my washer/dryer; and I can hang diapers outside to dry)

• Ruth Says:

When I was in a similar stuatio for six mos on an apt, I soaked my diapers with baking soda and a little oxyclean an rinsed by hand before going to use the machine for the full wash and I often hung them on a rack in a sunny window… Hope that helps…

61. Cyndel J Says:

I use a home made formula which I love, though I may try a store bought kind when I’m done…not sure.
    1 box borax
    3-52 oz boxes of baking soda
    1-92 oz bucket of oxi-clean

I’ve heard bad things about the oxi but I don’t know what to substitute it with. With this recipe you only use a tablespoon of detergent per wash, and it can last up to 6 months, the supplies cost me just under $30. It is cheep and I haven’t had any problems. About 1 time every three weeks I do a vinegar wash and the diapers don’t smell at all!
    Though I do have trouble with stains…I’m curious about the Bac-Out…is it to help with stains? Also how would I use it with old laundry mat washers? I have limited options, I can choose the temp of the water and the size of the load…that is it. I can choose a second rinse (I think that is what the super wash is, there is no explanation on the washers) for an extra $.25 which I usually choose.

I would do a cold wash with just bac out then run your regular wash. You could always do a “prewash” by rinsing out your diapers before they go in the pail.

62. Kevin Daum Says:

Hi Autumn

you forgot to mention oillift. actually I have to thank you for sending all the customers. It is kinda weird going from cleaning jets, ships and buildings etc to diapers,

anyway, I would like to point a couple of things on the chemistry side if I may. 1. the only way to properly get the bacteria out of your washing machine is to break up all the soap build up and get it out of the machine. that’s how I ended up at this blog one of your subscribers signed my petition to ban toxic cleaners and got the solution to what I call Skanky Laundry syndrome. 2. a little trick to reduce the amount of detergent and get better results is mix detergent with baking soda in water and a spray bottle. spray the stain and let it soak in then launder it. let the soap do the work. when we do laundry for a full load we simply spray stains direct with oillift and then put 2 oz for a full load. that’s it. let the soap do it’s job. OK now all I have to do is sit back and wait for the hitmen from the detergent companies to come after me. cheers Kevin

63. Cindy Says:

I use Lulu’s in the Fluff and it has worked well for me. I switched to RockinGreen Hard Rock because I’d heard a lot of good things about it and I liked that it came in scents. After 2 washes I started having stink issues, so back I went to Lulu’s. I tried a sample of Crunchy Clean because I LOVED the scent, but it too caused me problems. I think it is different for different people depending on their machine, routine, and hardness of their water. But I don’t think I’ll switch again unless I start having problems.

64. Kristen Says:

We’ve been using Country Save for a few months and it works great. I got my first box from Alice.com/Country Save’s website. They allow free shipping on your first purchase. I think they’ll do free shipping after that but it has to be multiple items on the order. Then we switched to the Subscribe & Save. It’s the only way to go. :)

65. Britt Says:

I have been using Country Save for almost three years in our hard water and have great results. My wash routine is very simple: cold rinse, hot wash with Country Save (and a wee bit of bleach [1/4 cup?] for my toddler which has really solved any amonia build issues for us), and then two cold rinses. I used to covet HE machines until I used my mom’s for a diaper load and found that I much prefer my old energy inefficient top-loader… even if it’s an ugly almond colour :)

66. Erin Says:

Great post! I have learned SO much from your blog since starting cloth in December! I’ve used several different detergent and settled on Country Save as well! I started with Sun Free, purchased super cheap at Big Lots (112 loads for $6.45….it’s one of the products they always carry! I even forget my Country Save when I went to Florida….live in NC….a couple months ago, and I knew I could just go to Big Lots and get it!).

Honestly, the cheap Sun Free worked FINE for two months. No stink issues, no problems at all! It’s rated as a “good” but not “excellent” on pinstripes and polka dots and diaper jungle, and I just started getting paranoid that I would eventually have something go wrong b/c of it, so I switched to the tried and trusted Country Save.

I tried samples of Crunchy Clean and Eco Nuts. I have no complaints about either, but I was able to get a great deal on Country Save. A local girl bought more than she needed on Amazon, and I ended up being able to buy my first 80-load box for $13 and 2.5 more boxes for just $25! I think I’m good to go on Country Save for the rest of my time using cloth…at least w/ this kid!

I still use Sun Free on our clothes. It’s just so cheap, and it’s plant based. Plus, the Real Diaper Association Detergent Determiner does not show it has any offending ingredients.

Ok–this comment is WAY too long! Wanted to include this VERY helpful link from the Real Diaper Association: http://detergent.realdiaperindustry.org/

You just enter you detergent name, and it tells you if it is ok!! :)

67. Carol N Says:

Tide is what I use. I have CD 3 kids (in FL and WY) with hard well water. I tried Country Save and liked it but it was not available locally. Sometimes I use my own homemade detergent if I run out of Tide (it is 40 miles each way to the store). I tried RNG hard Rock and did not work well for us. I do a prewash with either Bac-out OR vinegar. I line dry 90% of the time.

68. Mandy Says:

I have been cloth diapering for 1 yr now. My daughter developed a diaper rash which they thought was either contact dermatitis or a yeast infection. They treated for yeast and it didn’t resolve anything. Around this time I switched to Rockin Green detergent and I forgot to put vinegar in the load as I usually do. Shortly after she developed a bacterial infection. I am now scared to death to start using my diapers again thinking they have some sort of bacteria I can’t get rid of. Any suggestions?

I would definitely bleach, rinse a ton and then lay them in the sun for a day.

• Ashley Says:

When we had rash issues they thought it was yeast so I stopped using my cloth since the creams weren’t helping. I think he was actually having a reaction to the daily one or two disposables he was wearing since we were paranoid with the rash. Anyways once the rash left we had redness issues on his bum. I had tried Tea Tree Oil and Bleach to kill what I thought was yeast. It turned out to be a build up issue. I finally solved it by doing a wash with original Dawn. I’d try bleaching and sunning like Autumn said then do a wash with a couple of drops of the Dawn. You will rinse forever but once the suds came out it actually solved my ammonia build up issue as well. The ammonia wasn’t severe so I doubt that was the issue…I feel like I had a lot of Tea Tree Oil built up in them because they smelled so heavily of it.

69. Anna Says:

I have a bottle of Bac-Out, but it really does not give guidelines on how to use it in the washing machine, only concentrated directly on stains. How much Bac-Out do you use in a pre-wash?

70. Jessica Says:

Ok, I have another question, what you think about the Nellie’s with Soda detergent??

Thanks

1. Eco Sprout Cloth Diaper Detergent Review All About Cloth Diapers | Cloth Diaper Answers All About Cloth Diapers - August 24, 2011

[…] I began using Country Save I received a couple of warnings from readers that it can cause greying of my cloth diapers.  I am […]