Camden has been daytime potty trained for several months now. I usually put diapers on my kids at night until they have well proven themselves to be able to hold their pee. Naptimes I am too trusting and about 30% of the time Camden has an accident.
Finding a nighttime solution for Camden (he will be 3 on January 3rd) can be quite challenging. Some nights he pees a ton, others the diaper is almost dry.
This is where having a million different brands of random inserts can be helpful.
Last night Camden wore a Ragababe 2 Step system with 4 inserts laid in. And naturally this was a morning where the diaper was barely wet. All that wasted stuffins.
Every night I stand at my diaper shelves and contemplate what to put on Camden.
Here are my current choices. Next to them I will write whether or not they hold up to massive pee. The inserts I keep on hand are Geffen Baby Newborn Quick Absorbers (hemp and cotton), Ragababe (organic cotton and bamboo) doublers, and Hemp Babies doublers.
- Anne Marie Padorie AI2 w/ hemp insert + doubler. This is one of the best systems. Only once did Camden leak and it was a flood so not sure what diaper could have held up. It’s all about the inserts. The hemp insert trifolded and combined with a doubler or two holds a lot of liquid.
- Thirsties Duo AIO w/ doubler stuffed in pocket. Absorbency-wise this system is 100%. But, it leaves deep red marks on Camden’s legs. One night we had a sad episode. The tag was sticking out and laying against his skin. Because of Camden’s high ammonia pee the soaked tag highly irritated his skin and left small sores. Needless to say, in the middle of the night Camden was crying for his diaper to be changed. Lessons learned: tuck tag in and make sure diaper isn’t on too tight.
- Ragababe AIO w/ doubler. About half the time this combo is enough absorbency for Camden. If I lay in (or stuff in) 2 doublers it is absorbent enough but is a bit of a snug fit with the size AIOs that I have.
- Kawaii Goodnight Heavy Wetter w/ included 2 microfiber inserts + doubler. 100% on absorbency and fit. This system is pretty much the perfect nighttime solution for both my boys.
- Little Fancy Pants w/ hemp doubler + Rumparooz cover. The cover seals the deal when using an LFP or any fitted for that matter. A fitted diaper plus doubler can hold a lot of wetness. I have lost (most likely I left them in Texas) my favorite covers, Sweet Pea, so I am using my next favorite, Rumparooz. I prefer Sweet Pea because they stretch so well and fit over any fitted. I like Rumparooz because of the thick TPU, gussets and front elastic. Rumparooz don’t adequately fit over a one-sized fitted therefore leaving exposed diaper which usually gets something wet.
I try to always put on a pair of wool pants for pajamas and an extra barrier. There have been many times when the wool kept the bed dry.
I’ll admit that lately I have been more unsuccessful than successful at choosing nighttime cloth diaper systems for Camden. The only positive thing about lots of accidents is I’ve gotten good at cleaning mattresses.
What are you using for your heavy wetting toddler at night?