Having Problems With Your Cloth Diapers?

September 28, 2010

Just Because I Love You, Video/Music

If you’re new to cloth diapering, I’m betting you didn’t expect to have problems.  I’m sure your husband isn’t too thrilled with that stinky bag hanging out in the bathroom or the odor that hits you in the morning when you change your toddlers diaper?

Heck, if you’re a cloth diapering veteran I’m sure your husband’s not happy either with those issues! More than once I’ve heard, “Aren’t you the one who’s supposed to know how to fix this?”

I hate to tell you but cloth diapering isn’t always the easy choice. But, it will always be the better choice.  There have been times when I simply did not feel like rinsing one more poopy diaper or staring at my front loader in search of bubbles. Yet, I did it again and again…and again.

Eventually, you or someone else (myself or one of my helpful followers) will hit on the solution that cures all your current frustrations.  So, don’t throw in the towel. After all you could be a mouse caught in a mousetrap…

But, seriously, if you are having problems please search through the blog and if you still can’t find an answer leave a comment.  I may not be able to answer it right away but I promise it’s not because I’m ignoring you!

I personally answer every question and often times homeschooling my children along with changing poopy diapers ;) delays my response time.

, , ,

83 Responses to “Having Problems With Your Cloth Diapers?”

1. earthmama Says:

I just wanted to comment on Tide, look at it’s ratings and please tell me it is not worth it to use http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/1809-TideUltraPowderDetergentOriginal I would try Ecos, Country Save and Planet detergents along with some baking or washing soda, and vinegar before I would try tide or any other chemical detergent. Or bleach, yuck! Borax also gets an F rating from that site, stick to baking or washing soda.

2. Kiri Says:

Hi all–thanks, Autumn, for hosting this site!

Our son has been using Thirsties covers (at home) since birth. Now, at 6 mos, even the large ones are way too big around the waist, and too tight around the thighs.

Is there another brand that would be better proportioned? We want to keep using cloth, but we’ve had to move to disposables because of this problem…

Thanks!

Are you saying that he has big thighs and normal waist?

• Kiri Says:

He’s our first, so it’s hard to judge. Disposable diapers fit him just fine: he’s currently a size 3. But the Thirsties Duo-Wraps, of just about any size, are loose at the waist and tight at the thighs… I don’t know if it is the brand or the baby.

Is there something you would recommend for a big-thighed, small-waisted baby?

I’d look for a cover with 2 rows of snaps: one for waist, one for thighs.

• Kiri Says:

If anyone else is having this problem, I just got some aio swaddlebees and drybees. The SwaddleBees fit very, very nicely; the DryBees have a little of the old problem. Not as much as the old Thirstees, though… our baby is quite happy! :)

3. erin brubacher Says:

I never have to do more than a quick shake into the toilet and never have poop in my washer, stained diapers, or pay too much for dispoable liners. I get a sheet from a thrift store or even clothes I am about to drop off at a thrift store, and cut themup to the contour shape of a hemp doubler I have. I put them on top of each diaper then when I change if it is poopy shake a quick shake into the toilet and throw it out. If it is wet I wash and reuse. Cheap,reuseable,disposable.

4. Tammy Says:

I just wanted to make a comment about having stinky diapers. We had a VERY bad ammonia smell problem. Just as soon as DD would pee it would smell. And morning diapers singed the nose hairs! And we had major rash issues. But I’ve finally got it sorted out. For the absorbent parts (PF, fitteds, inserts) I soaked in oxy free several times and lots of hot rinses. Totally got the stink out. My normal washing detergent is now a homemade mixture. Each batch is: 1C oxy free, 1C borax, 1C super washing soda, 1/2C Calgon water softener, 1/2C baking soda (we have hard water). Then to wash I run a cycle with 1tbl detergent, another cycle 1tbl detergent and 2 more rinses with no detergent and line dry. It’s working great for us. For the covers the detergent mix is the same except no oxy (that is too hard on PUL). Add 1tbl detergent, hand wash, extra rinses, line dry.

5. Artemis Says:

Hi – We just started CD’ing with our second a couple of months ago, and are trying to get the hang of it. I have two questions that I haven’t been able to find answers to, so I’m hoping you might be able to help!

#1 — Even though our pre-folds come out of the was smelling clean, they smell like ammonia as soon as she wets them. Does this mean we have mineral buildup (or possibly hard water) … or is this normal? Just want to make sure that we deal with it if it’s an issue.

#2 – We use a dry pail, and when I dumped my pre-folds into our tub to soak I noticed that a bunch of them had big brown stains on them. They weren’t poopy diapers, so I have no idea where the stains are coming from. Have you ever heard of this happening? I put them out in the sun and was able to get most of the stain out, but I’m not sure what’s causing it in the first place, and if it’s the result of anything we’re doing.

Thanks much for any help you can provide!

1) yes you have buildup…could be detergent buildup or mineral.
      2) hard water *can* cause stains. sunning is the most natural and easiest (especially w/ prefolds) way to get rid of the stains. you can also use a little bleach.

6. Lefty Fry Says:

This is really embarrassing to admit…We had a family emergency recently, and I decided to switch to disposables for awhile while we are dealing with the situation (less laundry to think about!). It’s been a week of disposables now, and I just remembered today that I had 3 cloths that I forgot to wash when I switched to the ‘sposies. (Like I said, REALLY embarrassing to admit!) Anyway, one of those diapers was poopy, and there were maggots crawling in the poop! I’m pretty sure I got rid of all of them before throwing the diapers in the wash–I washed in cold, then two cycles of hot, then rinsed in cold, then dried on medium heat. Do I need to do anything else to the diapers before I put them on my precious toddler’s bum again? I didn’t dare use bleach (didn’t have any on hand anyway), and I threw a load of regular laundry in afterward…I’m now wondering if I needed to do something else to disinfect. If you have any suggestions, I’d sure be grateful! Thank you!

I would have used bleach. Seeing maggots would have made me run to the store to buy some. If you have TTO that will disinfect.

7. Tiffany Says:

I think I have the stinkies. =( The only thing I’ve changed in my routine was I added Bac out in the pre wash about a month ago. I do a cold pre wash, hot wash with Allens, and cold rinse. There are no bubbles in the rinse. They smell clean after the wash (actually they smell like nothing) and I don’t notice a smell while changing- only once it is in the pail (a Kissaluvs antibacterial liner that gets washed each time). I wash every other day. I expect the night diaper to smell- I mean really, he pees in something 10 times it is going to smell. But I’m afraid that some of the prefolds might be the culprits too. He has a slight rash- but it is on the waist and the legs. I would prefer to not use Tide (I hate the smell and am an ALL fan), but will if that will help. Do you have any other suggestions? Should I try a hot rinse after the wash and then a cold rinse, even though there are no bubbles?

Thanks!

you won’t see bubbles unless the water is really hot. the heat releases the buildup. you could soak in Rockin Green hared rock.

8. JenniferD Says:

Hi, I wrote yesterday briefly and now I’m a little panicked/frustrated.
    I am new to cloth diapering (3 days in) and have the Flips with stay dry inserts. On the advice of a friend, I used OxiClean tonight on part of the diapers to get the smell out. Now I’m reading that Oxiclean is very bad for cloth diapers -UGH! Now what do I do?
    Also, both of my girls had a rash tonight — my 10 mo old’s is very bad and my 2 1/2 year old’s not terrible but red. The baby gets rashes from time to time but my 2 year old rarely does. They go to daycare and I don’t know think they wiped them off after each wet diaper based on the wipes that came home (or they used disposable wipes if they did, I will check tomorow). Could that be it or is it my detergent, not rinsing enough, the inserts?
    I am so frustrated and ready to give up already. There is so much information out there that it’s overwhelming.
    Can anyone help — on the Oxiclean issue or the rash? They’re both in disposables again tonight so I could use diaper cream on their red rears.
    I’m using All F&C detergent.

9. JenniferD Says:

Ladies,
    THANK YOU for all of this. We just started cloth diapering 3 days ago and I’m already freaking out a little. My husband is less than thrilled and like anything new, there has and will be some adjusting for all of us. I needed the encouragement of this blog!
    I also wondered what everyone else did on the wipes (my started to smell in less than a day if I keep them warm) and the water bottle idea sounds good. One question — I purchased the Flip diapers with the micro-fiber inserts. I saw that some of you put oils in the water. Do you think this will hurt the micro-fiber?

I have not found that the essential oils caused any problems. But, they wash out pretty easy with soap and hot water which the washer does. I add Thieves oil to my warmer (you could use TTO) to keep bacteria and fungi at bay.

10. Jill Says:

Hi,
    I really want to use a detergent named Norwex Ultra Power Plus. It is a powder detergent and has no fillers and is supposed to rinse clean. But it does have a small amount of optical brighteners in it. I couldn’t find out the exact amount from the company, but they said it was a small amount.

If I use this detergent will I ruin my cloth diapers??? Could I just give it a try and if I notice problems, strip my diapers with RLR and then my diapers would be fine?

What would your advice be regarding this specific detergent?

Thank you!
    Jill

If optical brighteners are the only “offender” then it may be fine, you’ll just need to strip every few weeks. But, not knowing what the other ingredients are I couldn’t recommend it. Can I ask why you want to use this brand so bad?

• Jill Says:

I really want to use the Norwex detergent because I use it for all my other laundry, and I only have to use so little – a little less than 1 tbsp. per large load of clothes, so one bag lasts me 5 months or more! That really cuts down on the cost of laundry detergent for me. It would just be so much easier if I could just use this detergent for my cloth diapers too, but if it will ruin my diapers, I’ll use something else. I’ve only used Rockin’ Green and Lulu’s, and sometimes I just feel like the diapers not getting clean in the wash. It’s frustrating, and after cloth diapering for 6 months now I am still trying to find a solution that will work for me. I was thinking that if Norwex would be safe to use, it would clean my diapers better, but I don’t know if I can handle stripping them every couple of weeks. I’m ok with stripping them every 1.5 to 2 months. I use RLR to strip my diapers. I’ve done the rinse rinse rinse and keep on rinsing thing to strip my diapers, and that just didn’t work, and it was so much water!

I couldn’t find ingredients to Norwex. What kind of detergent is it? Read the label and see if it says optical brighteners, fragrances or ?? Lmk!

• Jill Says:

So I did some looking around, and got the MSDS for the detergent. Here’s what’s in it, from the MSDS, along with some other info. from the MSDS:
            Sodium Metasilicate Pentahydrate, percentage: 1-5%
            C.A.S. Number: 6834-92-0
            LD 50 (Route and Species): Oral – 1153 MG/KG (RAT); Dermal – Not available

It also says:
            physical state: free flowing powder

odour and appearance: white powder, mild chem

odour threshold: N AV

PH (10% solution): 12.5

COEFF Water Oil Dist.: >1

Solubility in H2o (23 degrees C): Complete

reactivity: none

effects of chronic exposure to product on skin, eyes, inhalation: none

reproductive toxicity: small amount of ethylene oxide is a potential reproductive threat

carcinogenicity: product is not a carcinogen (National Toxicology Program)

So, I have no idea what this stuff means. Maybe you do???? From my understanding, the MSDS has to contain any toxic ingredients, but all other non-toxic ingredients don’t have to be listed. I have no idea of how to find out how much brighteners/whiteners are in it; I don’t know what the scientific name is for optical brighteners or whiteners is.

The detergent is advertised as containing NO fillers and that it rinses clean. I guess the manufacturer won’t disclose a full ingredient list. Maybe I’ll write a letter…full disclosure is the big thing now and some major companies like clorox are starting to “come clean” with their ingredients on their web site at least.

Any help you can offer will be very appreciated! I haven’t tried it on my cloth diapers yet, because I don’t want to ruin them or cause more work for me…
            Thank you for taking your time to read all of this!
            Jill

• Jill Says:

I forgot to include what the label on the bag says:
            Contains biodegradable surfactants.
            Whites whiter and colors brighter.
            It does not have an ingredients list on it.
            Jill

• Jill Says:

I did even more looking and I found this about the detergent:
        It has some sodium laureth sulphate.

It does NOT contain: chlorine, trisodium nitriloacetate (NTA), ethoxylated nonylphenol, 2-butoxyethanol, borax, enzymes, toluene or its derivatives, or oils of any kind.

It is compatible with front loading systems and it is highly water soluble, contains no fillers, and is low-sudsing.
        Jill

11. Oksana S. Says:

I am using Fuzzi Bunz and they started leaking from the sides. What am I doing wrong? Somebody help please.

12. Rahel Says:

I have 2 questions, can I use sudocrem on my baby’s bum while cloth diapering? And how do I get the stains/buildup out. Also (I guess this is 3 questions) is there a safe stain remover to use? A lady gave me her Motherease diapers and they are in perfect, no stain condition. She told me she sprayed Shout on the diapers, is that a good idea?

Sudocrem will likely leave stains and buildup. But, if that is your only option make sure to use liners. I would be hesitant to use Shout without knowing the ingredients. Bac-out can be sprayed on the diapers to help with stains as will laying them in the sun :)

13. Suzy Says:

I thought I read an article that talked about diapers that stink kind of like ammonia. But I can’t remember where I read it. My diapers smell fine after being washed, but some smell funky after my daughter as peed in them. Any suggestions?

14. Claire Reiner Says:

We just scrape them into the toilet with a cheap spatula! We’ve never had a staining or odor issue with our bumGenius dipes. (I have a 3 month old formula fed boy) With prefolds, however, it was considerably more difficult to scrape. Try a diaper duck. Much cheaper than a sprayer. We used bac out and baking soda for smelly prefold dipes (separately, not at the same time!) No option is totally fun, easy or icky-free, but it’s all better than ‘sposies.

15. Hannah Hall Says:

I recently discovered that the reason my Bumgenius 3.0’s weren’t absorbing was probably because for the last several months I had used All Free and Clear detergent (which I thought was safe b/c of the Free and Clear in the title!) Now it seems that my diapers are ruined- despite several attempts at stripping. I’m about to have another baby, and I’m determined not to make the same mistake twice. I need an affordable and safe detergent suggestion. Some of my friends use Borax, some Charlies Soap, some Charlies’ soap plus Tide powder…what do you suggest?

I can’t bring myself to try let alone recommend Charlie’s Soap. I’ve read so many complaints about it. My detergent recs are in the “my recommendations” tab.

16. Lynn Wilson Says:

it seems the only problem I have and just can’t seem to figure out is the ammonia with night time diapers. It knocks me over because of how strong it is…and sometimes turns his bottom red, keeping him from sleeping well.
    I’ve tried different formulas for detergent (soft water and classic RNG) but still nothing works.
    Any suggestions would be awesome!

17. Leah Says:

The spray that you’re talking about could be the stuff that bumgenius makes, I’ve heard some people say it works and others say don’t waste your money.
    ttp://www.bumgenius.com/odor-remover.php

18. Raychel Says:

For stink I use Bum Genius oder remover. You spray it right on the diaper and so far no poo smell issues. I think a bottle is around $6 or so. My biggest problem is what to do at night. I have to buy my diapers a little at a time, so I really don’t have a great night solution yet. My twin boys are still waking up wet. I have ordered some bamboo fitteds and hopefully will be able to get wool soakers for them soon, but that is just not a cheep option!

For the lady who said she can’t afford liners, have you seen bummis fleece liners? They are thin and really great and reusable. Thanksmama has them for $5, and since they are washable you won’t have to keep buying them. I use them more than my biodegradable liners. Poo doesn’t seem to stick to them too much and you can rub them together under water and it come right off, then just wash with everything else!

19. Ann Marie Says:

We have been cd’ing for over 3.5 years and the only thing that has kept the stinkies away for us is Tide Free & Gentle powder + a half cup of washing soda. I tried many different detergents including the specialty cd ones and have not had the results that Tide gives us. I know a lot of people don’t like Tide and it was really my last resort. But I’m so happy not to have my nose hairs burnt off by the stench of amonnia anymore.
    So that is what has worked for us to solve our stinkies problem. I hth some other mama who is ready to throw in the towel (or diaper). :)

20. Amanda Says:

I am having such a hard time. My 10 month old has very strong urine, that’s just the way it is. He drinks plenty of water, no juice, trips to the Dr, tests, and that’s just how he is. That said, no matter what I try, he gets slightly red to bad rash in cloth diapers. This morning it looked like a sunburn and such a strong smell. We went out of town over the weekend, so I didn’t use cloth, and it was so nice seeing his cute bum not all red and angry looking. I use either Tide or Rockin Green or soap nuts (not often), I’ve putting vinegar in the final rinse and not. I always pre rinse first, hot wash (I’ve tried cold too) double rinse (this doesn’t seem to make a bit of difference). I have pockets, prefolds, fitteds, I’ve tried cornstarch, and he seems to always look the same. I usually use some type of rash cream or lanolin with a liner, just to try and protect him. I just bought some California Baby cream a little bit ago, I’m willing to try anything, but ready to give up. What am I doing wrong?

You aren’t doing anything wrong! My friend has a toddler that sounds very similar to your baby. The only diaper that would’t leave bad redness and blisters was Rumparooz. Joy of Ragababe saw her problem and sent some diapers for her to try. Ragababe was a success as well.

• Sonya Says:

I have had a similar problem, but not quite as bad. I recently decided to try some natural fabrics (Bum Genius AIO organic and Sloomb “magic diaper”). I loved the idea of organic and the Sustainable Babyish was so adorable. However, we have not had much luck. If I leave my son in either of the organic fabrics for more than an hour, he gets that red sunburn-type rash. I think it is because they don’t have the wicking action of the microfleece. Has anyone else had this problem with organic fabrics?

• Amanda Says:

Wow, thank you for that!! I’ve been so worried and didn’t put him in cloth last night for bed because his poor bottom looked worse…. Is it just because his urine is so acidic? Would it help if I cut strips of fleece to line his diaper (I was reading about this yesterday) Thanks for the suggestions, I will certainly try them out!!

• Lisa J Says:

I am having the same issues with my almost 10mth old baby boy. At first I thought it might have been my detergent. But, it’s a Free & Clear Organic Detergent…and I always do a 2nd rinse. I didn’t want to deal with the special detergent/hard water/build-up & stripping issues that go with microfleece. So, I bought organic cotton prefolds…only to have this issue with rashes. Same thing…his bottom looks red…like sunburn (no bumps) and gets raw. Needless to say I am disappointed. Guess I will try the fleece liner idea… It seems everyone is mentioning boys with this issue. So, I am starting to wonder if this is predominantly a boy problem??

~Frustrated

No, it’s not just a boy thing. Many babies react to any moisture next to their skin which is why stay-dry materials (fleece, suede cloth, athletic wicking material..) are so popular. Prefolds are very prone to buildup so you may want to run a HOT HOT rinse.

• Jamie O'Hare Says:

It’s not exclusively a microfiber/fleece issue or a boy issue. I did special detergent (Charlie’s/Crunchy Clean/RNG) with cotton prefolds and still got rashes with my daughter at 13 months or so. I stripped with Dawn and still had problems. We just finally hit our stride after 4 months with FB’s and 3T RNG with a 90min soak.

• Cassandra Says:

Just wanted to make a comment on the rash problem. I, also, have had the same problem with my youngest, who is now 32 mths. His system tends to be very acidic, and his urine will cause him rash, in addition to his stool. When he was under one yr, we used prefolds and diaper wraps, and i came up with an inexpensive “cure”…..I would take fleece baby blankets, which can usually be found for $2-5 each, and cut them into “liners”; I then laid the prefold on the cover, placed a “liner” on the prefold, and put on my son. This way the fleece was against his skin, and it wicked away the moisture very well. He rarely had a problem since I used them, and it also allowed me to use a small amount of diaper cream on him, since it wasn’t right on the cloth diaper itself. I recommend Weleda Calendula diaper rash cream. Around a yr of age, I switched to mostly Bumgenious diapers, the AIO’s and pocket style, and have used Imse Vimse liners, and he has not had hardly a rash since. Hope this helps:)

21. Azza Says:

Hi, i often read about cleaning poopy cloth diapers by simply shake it off and just toss it into washing machine. (???)
    But I could never just shake it off. I have to spray it into the toilet and scrub it before toss it into the washing machine.
    To those who is thinking about cloth diapering, this is the reality. Anyway, I love using cloth diapers. And I sell them too. Just want to share my experience. :P. The video is super cute.

22. Diana Says:

I have a question about the odor left behind too! I virtually prewash by hand all the poopy diapers- remove the poop, rinse very well in cold water, if there are any stains I use a gentle soap and get those off. Then I wash in hot water with Tide. After my son pees in the diaper though, it smells like poop! Any suggestions? Currently, I am using bumgenious and I have a couple I ordered from cutiepoops.

Diana, even when I think I’ve rinsed all the tide out I can tell when I haven’t by the smell. It’s either cut back on how much you use or do extra hot rinses.

23. Kate Says:

We are brand new to the cloth diapering world. I have a two week old who is really long and skinny. (No chunk on those thighs yet.) I have slowly been building up my supply of diapers but he’s still under 7 lbs and nothing seems to fit yet. Any thoughts?

24. Emily Says:

I could not LIVE without my bumGenius diaper sprayer! My son is 8 months old and it is the most invaluable piece of equipment I own… lol

Regarding the stink, my husband is constantly grossed out by the morning diaper. I use a medium Fuzzibunz stuffed with a hemp insert with a microterry doubler to absorb the wetness. This is the best way for us to avoid leaks overnight but the ammonia smell is rank. I wash using Allen’s Naturally detergent but I find the dipes come out not feeling/smelling totally clean. I just tried Rock ‘n Green detergent last night and they came out of the wash smelling delicious! I think I’ll keep using it. ***fingers crossed***

I’ve also been wondering about Bac-Out. I’ve never seen it at any of the CD stores. Where do you get it? Thanks.

25. Novi Ariny Says:

Dear, please allow me to translate your article to my language.. I’ll not forget to write the reference. Thanx.. :)

26. Natasha Says:

I have had a few issues the last few weeks. My daughter is only 12 weeks old. I use all one size pockets (12 HH, 14 Kawaii, 1 rumparooz, 3 mommy’s touch) First was stains. Then was my HH repelling, and now today it’s very strong amonia smell… I wash 14 diapers and inserts each load (I have a front loader) I live in Italy and I believe my water is kind of in the middle. I do a cold rinse (no soap) hot wash and 1tbsp classic rocking green and then another cold rinse. I tumble dry inserts (no dryer sheets of course) and line dry the diapers. I am at a loss and like you posted, I am almost close to throwing the towl in… my hubby is deployed for 10months and cloth diapers acting up, is really what I don’t want at this time. I have wrote to rockin green as well asking for help. When the HH were repelling, I did an overnight soak in bath tub with 5tbsp and then next day did 2 hot washes and double rinse on each (obv then no added soap) I feel as though I am following all directions but something is going wrong. Only on the days when she poops I use Lu~sa booty balm that is approved safe for cloth diapers. What is happening (for the repelling and the amonia) I would say sounds like build up.. but why?? All diapers were bought brand new, and were prepped in rockin green before she was born. Never have I washed them in anything else. Any info feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks

Before throwing in the towel I would try another detergent. I don’t know what you have available in Italy. Since you are military you have available to you All Free & Clear liquid. It has a bright red label stating that it doesn’t contain optical brighteners (which can lead to repelling). It is available at military commissaries.

27. Patricia Says:

Video made me laugh, then cry, then LAUGH! You should have warned us.

28. Rochelle Says:

I read your previous post regarding sprayers and Tide, and I didn’t see what kind of pail you currently use. Since switching to a HE front loader, do you use a dry pail or a wet pail?

In India, I used a wet pail, which seemed to help with the stink to some degree. Since returning to the U.S., I’ve been using a dry pail. I don’t know how I could use the wet pail without getting pee water all over when dumping it.

I’ve been using Tide since returning, and while the diapers smell like pee when removing them, I’ve noticed the ammonia smell in the pail getting worse with every wash. I’ve been using 1/2 to 2/3 to the “1” line for Tide, because the first time when I went to the “1” line, the machine had to go on a special “SUD” cycle to get rid of extra suds. Today I also tried adding a 1/2 scoop of Borax. Hopefully that will also help.

I also used to add extra water in my FL in India through the detergent bin, but I’ve been using my mother’s machine since returning and am too afraid of breaking it to try that method. I also noticed that her water temp can only go up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit (49 degrees Celsius), while my old machine could heat the water to 90 degrees Celsius (194 degrees F) on the drum, which I think helped most with keeping the smell away. I don’t know if the water actually got quite that hot, but it was hot.

I haven’t had a chance to buy Bac-Out yet. Hopefully it won’t be long.

–Rochelle

My FL has a sanitize cycle and a steam cycle, both allow temperature to go much higher. I use either a Leslie’s Boutique wet bag or Weehuggers hobo bag. You can “trick” the washer into adding more water by starting the washer let everything get wet, then stop(not pause) it and start it with the detegent. I tried this the other day and it worked nice.

29. thais Says:

On the subject of stinky diapers I started useing cloth about 3 months ago and I was watching a youtube video on how to use cloth diapers. On that video the lady used a spray on the diaper befor she put it on that would help with the smell. I have not been able to find the video again or what it waas she used. Do you know what it is? Thanks for the help!

30. Amanda Olson Says:

Hi there,
    My problem is what the heck do i do about semi-solid poopy diapers? LOL My 10mth old is breast feed, but of course shes getting older and wanting solid foods. What do i do about the not solid poo..left behind? We cant afford liners at all..so im stuck with some gross beans and so forth left behind? Its not enough to shake off !! Sorry kinda gross..but im stuck! LOL
    Thanks for your suggestions!
    Amanda

What type of diapers are you using? If they are ones with a lay in insert/soaker you can swish in the toilet easier. My husband isn’t the handy type but I know many moms say their husbands went to the home improvement store and bought the supplies needed for a sprayer. I think they said all together it was less than $10. I bought the Bum Genius sprayer and love it. Before I had a sprayer though I shook off what I could (this only really worked in a TL) then the rest was prewashed off in the washer. Or you could check out the Diaper Duck.

• Oksana S. Says:

I’ve been using Fuzzi Bunz on my almost 12mo old daughter (breastfed) since she was about 4 mo old. When she had semisolid poop I just rinse the insert separately and prewash a diaper by hand right after changing it. I don’t have a sprayer so I would just turn on the water and scrub the diaper with a brush only in outward direction. It was a little too much for me at the beginning and I even started thinking about giving up clothdiapering but after a little practice it became piece of cake.

• jennifer perry Says:

if you google diaper sprayer instructions or something to that affect…you can find out how to make your own sprayer.

• Patricia Says:

I am also dealing with the breastmilk/solid food mix of poops, so I totally know what you mean. I’ve found that a sprayer is the only way to deal with this myself. I bought a cheap utility sprayer that hooks to my shower from the HomeDepot for about $10. It reaches my toilet, but I actually prefer to spray in a bucket in the shower and then dump in the toilet. It saves my back from bending over in order not to spray out of the bowl.

• Kat Says:

I had a hard time affording liners too, so I tried to make my own from old clothes. We have an abundance of slightly stained or faded t-shirts. I cut them into rectangles to fit the length and width of the diaper. One of my toddlers shirts would make about 6-8 liners depending on how big I make them. My husbands’ shirt would almost give me a month’s worth. They are reuseable, or tossable. Mine usually go through several washes before being tossed. They work well for me. But like most things they aren’t perfect. I use mostly pocket diapers and they work great but when I put them with my prefolds, they tend to bunch ( I may not be folding the diaper properly), and I often get poo on the diaper anyway. I can often find men’s t-shirts at the thrift store for 25 cents to a dollar a piece.

• Jennifer Says:

Go to walmart and buy fleece on clearance. Take it home and wash it. Cut into liners whatever size you like. Easy to rinse, just a little swish in the toilet, poo should come off pretty easy. No sew washable liners.

• danielle Says:

liners really aren’t that expensive. I use imse vimse baby size. We haven’t even finished using the whole package (we’re just over halfway through) and we’ve been using them in every diaper for the last 9 months. If it’s pee, you can wash and reuse them. They survive the washer. Poop ones are the only ones flushed. It’s cheaper than a sprayer. I would find the money for one pack.

• Jamie O'Hare Says:

You could get some toilet paper, hold your breath, wipe it off the diaper, and flush it away. There’ll be some poo left, but not a big deal. Maybe if you have some of your detergent diluted in a bottle, you could pre-treat any leftover mess. My 19-month-old’s “contribution” rarely rolls off neatly into the toilet, so I pull out the insert and swish the pocket diaper in the toilet. I did the same with prefolds. It’s gross, but it makes you keep up with toilet cleaning. I had an older child with encopresis, so I had to swish undies or replace at least a pair a day, so I got used to rinsing undies. It’s gross, but parenting small ones is usually about keeping the biohazards in check, right?

• Lisa Says:

I know you said you can’t afford liners but I use the disposable Imsy Vimsy liners ($11 for 200 liners) and they are working great! What’s better is the ones that have only urine can be washed and reused. I pull them out of the wash and lay them to dry and have used them 3-4 times already! Here’s another solution which may sound crazy. It’s pretty clear to tell when my daughter is going to poop. She makes a very distinctive sound and face. When I know she’s about to go I hold her over the toilet. We sing songs and make faces and she usually goes. I know not everyone has the time for this though!

• Sara Says:

I’ve been lucky that hubby installed a sprayer. After seeing him do it, you don’t even need to be very handy. Check out YouTube for videos, its super easy. You could also dunk&swish or use an old spatcula to scrap stuff off. I’ve done both and I much prefer the sprayer.

• Tammy Says:

I got a cheap spatula and scrape off the poo that way. I keep some clorox type wipes there the clean it off each time. It makes it veryeasy and no dunking, etc!

• jacqueline Says:

at babies r us there is a sprayer the hooks up to your potty so you can spray out the poopie diapers and flush it away it is about $40

31. Majaliwa Bass Says: