Even worse than severe stink, leaks and allergies is YEAST. It’s a monster I tell ya. You don’t want it.
But, if your baby does get a yeast rash what do you do?
First, there are some things to know about yeast in general:
1) Yeast thrives in warm, dark places.
2) Yeast is very hard to kill and will even hide so that you think it’s gone only to attack again.
3) Yeast starts with diet. It doesn’t just appear in the diapers out of no where.
4) You can get rid of yeast without losing your mind.
Let’s start with the rash. Here are some creams/salves that are safe to use with cloth diapers:
- Northern Essence Better Butt(er) Balm
- The Homestead Company Baby Balm
- Organic Coconut Oil (here are 2 brands Coconut Pacific and Garden of Life)
- Baby Bottom Better Diaper Salve
Once you have the rash covered (literally) how do you prevent the diapers from reinfecting the baby? You have to treat the diapers… but then how do you prevent the baby from reinfecting the diapers while waiting for the skin to heal?
After consulting with other parenting and cloth diaper websites, these are the steps I have accumulated as recommended to work best:
- cold wash with Tea Tree Oil (3-4 drops in a FL, 4-6 drops in a TL. add to detergent compartment for FL)
- hot wash with an oxygen cleaner (Vaska OxygenBleach or Bio Kleen Oxygen Bleach Plus are options)
- lay out in FULL sun (if you live in the south this isn’t a problem) or dry on HIGH heat.
This regimen is safe to repeat after a week in order to kill any remaining yeasties. TTO could be interchanged with Grapefruit Seed Extract if you prefer.
I mentioned diet. This article Conquering Candidiasis Naturally by Dr. Stephen C Byrnes is excellent!
While the herbal suggestions aren’t something you’d give to a baby it is still enlightening for us adults. Most of us probably have a Candida overgrowth. But, if you are nursing you can see how making these changes for yourself can benefit your baby.
I pray this information will bless you during this time of frustration. Seeing our children in pain or simply looking bad is hard for a parent. Yeast is something than can be conquered.