One of my first few posts on All About Cloth Diapers was about my then top five favorite all in ones. I was curious to see how much my list would change today.
Surprisingly, only 1 of my original top 5 would remain favorites. I have had the privilege of trying out many different all-in-ones over the past 10 months (since my original top 5 post).
Over the coming months and years there are bound to be AIOs that surpass the performance and design of the following list but for now I am very happy with each of these 5 AIOs.
My Top 5 AIOs for 2009.
1) BumGenius Organics: A super hero diaper in my opinion. BumGenius Organics are as trim as a disposable and with the one-size adjustability you get a truly custom fit. Many diapers fit Paisley trimly but have too high of a rise. Not a big problem but not a perfect fit. With the BumGenius Organics I snap the rise down and you can hardly tell she’s wearing a diaper. The organic cotton soaker is external allowing for a thorough cleaning in the washer and a quicker dry time than an internal soaker offers. Although the aplix is very strong, the small tabs are a bit troublesome. But, BumGenius now offers this diaper with a snap option!
2) Bum-Ware Extreme AIO (BWX): The BWX ties with the BumGenius Organics for top all around All In One. The BWX is a “true AIO” in that the soaker is sewn-in. This diaper has a suedecloth inner, snaps or aplix closure, gentle leg elastics, trim fit (excellent under jeans), many color choices and great absorbency. You can also upgrade with a fleece topped flannel doubler for extra absorbency.
3) Thirsties Pocket AIO: This is the only one of my original favorites making the list. Thirsties offer many benefits like: double gussets, trimness, simplicity, wide pocket (allowing for easy turning in washing/drying), strong aplix, and bright colors. In 2008, Thirsties released a V2 (version 2) that included some slight improvements in the design. In the V2 the fleece has been removed from the gusset to prevent wicking when the diaper is fully saturated. Also, the soaker is now wider providing more absorbency coverage. Thirsties now offers a hemp insert that is perfect for long-term use like car rides and nighttime.
4) Bum-Ware Original AIO: Super strength aplix, wide aplix tabs, trim, cotton fleece inner, gentle leg elastic and fast dry time are my favorite aspects of this diaper. My preference is the Quick Dry/AI2 upgrade option. This makes for a super fast drying diaper. My extensive use of this diaper has changed my opinion that flannel is not absorbent enough for my liking. We have not had any leaks or wicking with the Bum-Ware Original AIO/AI2.
5) Baby Beehinds Minkee Magic-alls: This is not a perfect diaper but makes my top 5 none-the-less. I do not like the wide tabs- I think it is just extra, unneeded material. However, this diaper is extremely absorbent! Magic-alls contains a sewn-in microfiber soaker that is much thicker than the Thirsties Pocket AIO. This allows for more soaker power. Combine this with the Magic-Alls Boost It and you have an easy nighttime solution. The Boost It is made of 3 layers of lush bamboo fleece. And of course the super soft minkee outer makes this diaper hard to pass up. Magic-alls have a suedecloth inner.