A hybrid cloth diaper is a cross between an all-in-one and a fitted cloth diaper.
An AIO is fully waterproof due to the PUL layer. While a fitted diaper requires a cover due to the absence of a waterproof layer.
So, what makes it a hybrid?
One of the first WAHMs to produce a hybrid fitted was Anne of Little Boppers. Here is the description from her Etsy store defining a hybrid fitted:
What is a “Hybrid Fitted”? It is a fitted diaper that has a hidden body layer of poly fleece, sandwiched between the outer print and the inner velour. This layer of poly fleece helps the diaper to be more effective.
Liquid hits the fleece layer and is deflected back into the absorbent inner, soaking up into the rest of the soaker pad and inner velour instead of just saturating the middle and immediately needing a change. The hybrid fitted is still a “fitted” diaper, meaning it is breathable and it isn’t totally waterproof. It would require the use of a cover to be considered waterproof.
Many folks like to use these coverless around the house because they are more water-resistant than a regular fitted. They are not as waterproof as AIOs or AI2s made with PUL, but they are more breathable than them.
On the market today are dozens of stores making this extremely popular new diapering system. Some are near impossible to get, like Tangerine Baby, but don’t focus on the one that eludes you.
Here is a list of shops selling the popular hybrid fitted:
- Chloe’s Cloth hard to get
- Little Boppers main site hyena cart etsy
- Little Bit Loo Creations cute recycled t-shirt hybrid fitteds!
- Panda Baby Boutique
- Old School Cool
- Muttaqin Baby subscribe to Yahoo email group! This is where Michelle announces stockings.
- Hipster Fluff
- NiteOwl Dipes
- Bagshot Row Bamboo another popular, hard to get brand
- Cheeky Revolution
- Little Fancy Pants hard to get
- Pied Piper’s Cloth Diapers
- Baby Ten hard to get
- Wiggles Cloth Diapers side-snapping, a nice trim fitting alternative to the popular front snap
- Little Seedlings hard to get
- fluff by mamamade if judging a book by its cover was wise this would be my favorite store! love the look and her diapers look very well made.
- Diaper Donks
- Rainbow Monster hard to get
- Chuckle Pants pinterest page to see past work
- Pooz Cloth Diapers
- The Diaper Addict
- My Munchi hard to get
- MAC’s Diapers
- Ari Safari
- Dick&Jane at this point I need an award for the self-restraint I’m practicing!
- Couture Fluff
- Binky D
- Monkey Rumps
- Baby Roman
- Dillicious Dipes
- Macaroni Baby
I could go on and on and I encourage you to post your favorite hybrid fitted!
The one thing I highly recommend is to like the store’s Facebook page. On the Facebook page you will see details of stocking times and previews of what is to come. There are oftentimes a b/s/t (buy/sell/trade) page on Facebook as well.
Plenty of opportunities to try out a hybrid fitted!!
**If you are the owner of one of the stores listed and would like your hybrid fitted reviewed by All About Cloth Diapers please click the “Contact Us” button in the toolbar at the bottom of your screen. Thank you for all your hard work!