Mainstream America is missing out on cloth diapers. One big reason is the lack of cloth diapers that are sold in big box stores. Hopefully, this will continue to fill that void! I’m so excited that Gerber has come out with an updated version of their modern cloth diaper. Their new It’s a Snap One Size All in One is SUPER affordable and a great day time diaper option. And it’s sold at Walmart! Check it out!
When Gerber came out with their first attempt at a modern cloth diaper back in 2015, I was cautiously excited. I thought, “YAY! An actual cloth diaper that will be in front of everyday families”. Turns out that version still needed some work, a lot of work actually. I’m happy to say that it looks like Gerber listened to customer feedback and made some much needed improvements. The ‘It’s a Snap’ All in One is a good option for this price point.
I received diapers for review purposes. All opinions expressed are 100% honest and true.
The Gerber It’s a Snap All in One (AIO) is labeled to fit 8-30 lbs, but this depends on shape of baby. Some will fit longer, some less. It’s always nice to have a One Size that actually is truly birth to potty training. I really wish this diaper ran a bit larger. Most babies are heavier than 30 pounds when they potty train. Norah is almost 10 months old and 20 lbs and the size is adequate for now. She’s on the biggest rise already but still has a few waist snaps left. She isn’t walking yet so she will thin out some, as most babies do and then the diaper will likely have more space again. I’ll have to keep you posted with a future update on fit as she grows.The outer is made of PUL. The attached inner says it’s a 100% cotton. The inner soaker forms a pocket. (See photo below.) It is not attached on the top or bottom. This allows you to add more inserts for additional absorbency if you need to. I recommend doing this as the inner attached soaker is not all that absorbent on its own.
The available Gerber It’s a Snap All in One 2-pack comes with two All in Ones, no included inserts. If you purchase the 3 piece starter kit, there are two included inserts and one AIO. This is the package I’d personally recommend (unless you have your own stash of inserts you can use to bump up the absorbency). There’s a small insert that measures 3.5″ x 10.5″ after washing. And a large that measures 4.25″ x 12.5″ after washing. I would say the small is adequate for newborns. Any babies older than that go ahead and use the large if you can still get a good fit. You’ll be glad for the extra absorbency. My absorbency tests show how the Gerber AIO and inserts stacked up against other cloth diapers on the market.
These are great as day diapers. With the added insert, you should be able to go around 2 hours on the average baby without a change. I would not recommend this as a nap or nighttime diaper.
Things I like…
- That it’s an all in one with a pocket. Makes it easy to add absorbency.
- The pocket opening at the ends of the attached insert are wide enough to make it easy to stuff (BIG PLUS FOR ME) and also the added inserts are able to come out easily in the wash.
- The snaps. I’m usually more of a hook and loop fan. But this was a good choice for Gerber. The first version had velcro that didn’t stay closed. No issues with the snaps.
- Double leg gussets. These are designed to hold poo in. A benefit is you are also able to get a good fit at the legs with minimal effort.
- Additional tummy and back PUL panel. Helps to prevent leaks due to wicking. Just make sure you tuck the inserts in under it when you put it on baby.
- Holds up ok in the wash. I’ve only been using it for a few months and the only things I noticed is one broken thread and just a tiny bit of pilling on the outer cover. I’ll update again after a longer usage period.
Something I might change…
- I’d still like to see more absorbency. Maybe use bamboo or hemp blend inners (instead of the synthetic material that the current booster is made of).
- Sized bigger. 30 pounds as a max is a pretty low threshold.
- Prints! This comes in four basic colors: blue, pink, orange, and sage. Great start, but I hope to see more. (photo courtesy gerber.com)
The 3-piece Starter Pack is priced at just $9.95 at walmart.com and $13.99 if you purchase directly from the Gerber website. For that price range, this is a solid choice. All in ones are easy to use and a great starting place if you are new to cloth. I’m so happy that Gerber heard what people were saying and made improvements. I hope they continue to grow their modern cloth diaper line.
Have you used this new version of the Gerber It’s a Snap All in One yet? What did you think?
I have a giveaway! Winner receives a starter kit (AIO and two inserts) AND a 2-pack! That’s THREE It’s a Snap OS All in Ones and two additional inserts! Click here to enter! https://goo.gl/dJ2W9j